2017 Couch to 5k Training Program
Join Grounded Running in training for and running your first 5k with our Couch to 5k training program. Take your first steps now to a healthier you in 2017.
You should ease into your 5K training program gradually. We build up the routine walking and jogging before we start focusing on running. The process is to take someone who does not currently walk or run and takes them to running a 5K or 3.1 miles and on a regular basis in just two months.
As with any new exercise routine, it’s very easy to “give up” and that is way we start off very easy with short workouts to ensure that you are able to accomplish one goal at a time. If you find the program to stressful or your body just isn’t there yet, do what you can. You know what they say, “Rome wasn’t built in a day”. If you need to repeat a week, do so and only move forward when you are ready.
Starting your training program
Each workout should take less than 30 minutes, three times a week. This program will get you fit but you have to commit to sticking to the routine and soon you will find yourself doing things that you previously could not.
Be sure to plan your workouts throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover. Do not worry about how fast you’re going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. The main goal is to increase the time on your feet and the distance you travel.
- Print out the training program and hang it some where you know you will see it everyday.
- Mark off the workouts as you complete them so you can visibly see the progress you are making.
- Stick to a routine, trying to complete your workouts on a consistent basis.
- Work out with a friend or join the Beaufort Track Club for a group walk/ run (Wednesdays & Saturdays)
- If you miss a workout DON’T GIVE UP! Pick up where you left off and get back on track.
- Once you see yourself progressing through your training plan, sign up for a race. The Beaufort Charities 5k & 10K is 9 weeks out and its always best to have a goal that you are working towards.
Kicking it off
Click the following link to download your 9 week Couch to 5k Training Program: CLICK HERE
We are here to help you reach your goals, please feel free to call me personally at 843.986.4523 or stop in Grounded Running to see how we can get you to your own personal finish line! -Tim Waz, Owner
Before starting an exercise program, there are several things that you should possibly consider. If you have never exercised, it’s been a long time, or you’re over the age of 40, a thorough physical by your primary medical provider is strongly advised to make sure that you are physically ready to participate in regular exercise. Beyond that it’s important to consider why you’re beginning an exercise program, what your eventual goals are, and what possible obstacles, there might be to you continuing your exercise program and how best to overcome these obstacles. If you have clearly defined and manageable goals it makes it more likely you will stick with your exercise program and be motivated to continue to reach manageable goals.